Steve McCoy survived a harrowing youth and a horrible tragedy and still made it as a successful attorney and businessman. And he’s managed to keep his broken, battered heart under wraps by working with short-term submissives at his popular BDSM club, Eden’s Gate.
Until Kelly Markham came along. Kelly’s history was as bad or worse than Steve’s. She lost the only man she ever loved, a faithful, loving Dom, but she never lost hope. When she’s invited to visit Eden’s Gate, she feels like she’s finally found a home. Better yet, she finds a man who’ll help her reintegrate into the community, even if his help is only offered for one month.
Unfortunately, Kelly discovers that being Steve’s submissive is not easy. Matter of fact, when she accidentally trips a trigger from Steve’s history, being his submissive could actually be dangerous, even deadly. Steve’s determined to keep her at a distance and never show her his heart, but can he hold out when he realizes his best shot at a happily ever after might not survive?
1. When he was in grade school, Steve used to scavenge drink bottles, turn them in for the deposit, and buy a jar of marshmallow cream, which he’d eat with a spoon.
2. Steve has one implanted tooth. He called a woman at a bar a “cow” and her husband punched him in the mouth.
3. When he was high school age he wanted to marry Cher.
4. He loves the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama; it’s his favorite place to vacation.
5. As a teenager he wanted to be a math teacher.
6. He doesn’t like to wear anything red.
7. He’s truly ambidextrous.
8. Football-wise, he’s a St. Louis Rams fan. In 2002 he told everyone at the club that if the New England Patriots beat the Rams in the Superbowl, he’d strip naked and let the female club members play ringtoss with his cock. A woman named Faith won in quadruple elimination. And Steve vowed to never make a statement like that again.
9. He likes his cheese sliced a certain thickness. Too thick, too thin, he won’t eat it.
10. He got caught in bed with a jealous husband’s wife one time. After that, he never went home with a woman again; he made them come to his place.
11. He wears jeans, but he’d rather be in chinos.
12. When he first moved to Louisville, he dated a woman who’d been a nun. For years he said it was the best sex he ever had.
13. Steve was introduced to BDSM in college by a college buddy’s mom (and yes, she was still married to the buddy’s dad).
14. He’s never worn a ring of any kind, even when he was married. He says they bother him.
15. He’s terrified of being carjacked. He had his car outfitted with bullet-proof glass and he always drives with the doors locked and windows up.
16. No matter what he does, when he eats asparagus he can’t keep it down.
17. He had a boat in a marina on the Ohio River in Louisville once, but it broke loose from its moorings and was never found. He didn’t both buying another one.
18. When he goes to a casino he leaves his debit and credit cards in the hotel safe and only takes cash. And when it’s gone, it’s gone.
19. Steve doesn’t play any musical instrument, doesn’t sing, and really doesn’t listen to music. It’s never been important to him.
20. Right after he got out of college, he took out a girl who turned out to be a guy. His motto from that time forward: “When in doubt, don’t ask her out.”
1. Kelly likes stilettos – the higher the better. She hates being short.
2. Until that funeral, Kelly had never been in a church. Never. All she knew about church was what she saw on TV. When she was a kid she watched reruns of The Flying Nun and thought churches were a magical place. It made her want to be a nun. She finds that really funny now.
3. Right after she started seeing her old Dom, Gary, he decided he wanted to get his penis pierced. She went with him and passed out cold, hit her head, and had to have a CAT scan.
4. She hates the color orange. For years she wouldn’t eat oranges either.
5. For the first two years she had her breast implants, she was terrified; she was sure they were going to explode.
6. Maroon 5 is her favorite band; second favorite is Matchbox 20. Apparently it’s something about numbers.
7. Pick a color and her hair’s been it. Except for orange.
8. Gary taught her to drive when she was 28. He bought her a car about three weeks before he died.
9. She has a beautiful soprano singing voice.
10. She has two places she wants to go: Washington, D.C., and New York City.
11. Before Nikki and Tony met, Kelly was determined she was going to have Tony eventually.
12. Her favorite dessert is Key lime pie.
13. When she sneezes she sounds like a mouse squeaking.
14. The smell of bacon cooking makes her sick.
15. Her favorite drink is a Long Island Iced Tea. And she likes a sprig of rosemary in it.
16. When she was growing up she always wanted to be a ballerina.
17. In a bra, Kelly wears a 30G. She always has to order them. There’s an airbrush artist in Louisville who paints them for her.
18. When she first moved to Louisville, she met a gorgeous guy named Matthew. They dated for about six weeks and spent most of their time at her apartment. She was crazy about him. He asked her to move in with him. Then she found out he lived with his mother; she said no.
19. When she was little she had a stuffed bear named Felix. She found some scissors, cut a slit in his tummy, and stuffed food in there to “feed” him. It ended badly.
20. She had a top flog her one night in a club. When he was done she asked, “Is that all you got?” Thirty minutes later she regretted that question.